I’m back for another installment of author birthdays!* For this fall’s edition, I’m writing about Ursula K. Le Guin for October, with a bonus salute to N.K. Jemisin for September.
Ursula K. Le Guin
Birthday: October 21
- Reason I chose her: She’s one of the best sci-fi and fantasy writers we’ve ever had. Talk about an inspiration and someone to look up to!
- Fun fact: She’s written “23 novels, 12 volumes of short stories, 11 volumes of poetry, 13 children’s books, five essay collections, and four works of translation.” Not to mention, she’s won a bucket of prestigious awards.
- Work I recommend you start with: A Wizard of Earthsea, which is the first book in the absolutely delicious Earthsea Cycle. A friend recommended the series to me, for which I’m super grateful. There’s just so much about it that’s wonderful.
Birthday: September 19
- Reason I chose her: Her Broken Earth Trilogy blew my mind. Seriously, I can’t stop talking about how good it is. Also, for quite a while, she was working a day job while she wrote. Since I’m in the same boat, it inspires me to see what can be accomplished.
- Fun fact: She’s another powerhouse like Le Guin. Get this: Jemisin is the first author to win three Best Novel Hugo Awards in a row—one for each book in the abovementioned Broken Earth Trilogy. In 2020, she won the MacArthur Fellowship, also known as the “Genius Grant.”
- Work I recommend you start with: The Fifth Season, which is book 1 in the Broken Earth Trilogy.
What about you? Have you read either of these authors? What did you think?
*As usual, I’m writing about authors whose work you should be able to find in the library, but I’m also including links to Amazon in case you want to snag it there.
My thanks for your Ursula Le Guin and the Jemisin science fiction recommendations.
I’ve read something by Le Guin, but decades have passed since then and the title has slipped from memory. Never forgot how much I enjoyed her writing.
Looking forward to reading your “Housekeeping” series.
Hi Nancy, Thanks so much for checking out the series. Hope you enjoy the Le Guin and Jemisin series. They’ve each got a bunch of other goodies for you to enjoy if you find one or both of them to your liking. Happy reading!
Just turned 83 yrs and been fantasy/sci-fi reader FOREVER.Cannot honestly say I have ever enjoyed a series as much as your HOUSEKEEPING SERIES. please continue
Thank you so much Carolyn! That means a lot to me. I am working on Book 4 as we speak. Stay tuned and thank you for the encouragement!